Concise summaries of current research on human milk, breastfeeding, and lactation for health care professionals.
The information in this collection has been reprinted with permission from LLLI from BREASTFEEDING ABSTRACTS, La Leche League International’s breastfeeding research review publication. Our collection contains a selection of lead articles from past issues only.
Note that these documents are not for mass redistribution purposes. Please do not reprint multiple copies of these items without written permission from La Leche League International.
Lead Articles from Past Issues
- Breastfeeding and Engorgement
- Breastfeeding a Preterm Infant after NICU Discharge: Reflections on Ryan’s Story
- Cue Feeding: Wisdom and Science
- Feed the Babies: Shortening the Preoperative Fast for Breastfeeding Infants
- Oral Aversion in the Breastfed Neonate
- A Time to Wean
The Breastfed Infant and Child
- Breastfeeding: Reducing the Risk for Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- Lactose Intolerance, Diarrhea and Allergy
- The Protective Effects of Breastfeeding for Infants of Depressed Mothers
- Rethinking “Healthy” Infant Sleep
- Sunlight Deficiency and Breastfeeding
Maternal Health, Medications, and Social Concerns
- Breast Health in Lactating Women
- Breast Implants: Silicone Breast Implants and Breastfeeding
- Contraception: The Breastfeeding Dyad and Contraception
- Contraception: The Lactational Amenorrhea Method (LAM): Another Choice for Mothers
- Epidurals and Breastfeeding,
- Herbs and Breastfeeding
- HIV: Current Status of HIV and Breastfeeding Research
- HIV: Infant Feeding Choices for HIV Positive Mothers
- Medications: Evaluating Medications for the Lactating Woman
- Medications: Update: Transfer of Drugs and Chemicals into Human Milk
- Medications: When Breastfeeding Is Not Contraindicated
- Sexual Abuse: Breastfeeding and the Sexual Abuse Survivor
- Thyroid Conditions: The Impact of Thyroid Dysfunction on Lactation
- Violence Against Women During Pregnancy, Postpartum, and Breastfeeding
Breastfeeding Research and Policy Issues
- Duration, Intensity, and Exclusivity of Breastfeeding: Recent Research Confirms the Importance of these Variables
- Extended Breastfeeding and the Law
- New Breastfeeding Policy Statement from the American Academy of Pediatrics
- Wellstart Donates Research Collection to LLLI’s Center for Breastfeeding Information
- What Is the Definition of Breastfeeding?
- Where Does Donor Milk Banking Fit in Public Health Policy?